Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Help Needed

The customs office at Manas has confiscated my donated shoes!! I have a letter but they want it translated and notarized and signed by some minister or something. Any suggestions on how to get it in to the country or back home? I'm pretty upset about it. I'm hoping customs will give it to BMI and they will send it home but I doubt it...

Elizabeth

7 comments:

Hilary Marquis said...

They did WHAT!!? Deep breath, deep breath, candy bar, deep breath...

janiece said...

Oh for good God sake!!! Blackmarket for shoes??? Call the US embassy. Ask them for advice. That's just crappy!

Anonymous said...

What is the problem- do they think you are going to sell them or something? Unbelievable. I am so sorry.

Have you tried talking to the US embassy for help? http://bishkek.usembassy.gov

Has your agency offered to help with this? Can they assist with the letter they are wanting?

Good luck- prayers going up for you and Aidai and your mom while you are getting to know each other, and for this shoe situation as well.

Margaret and Tom said...

That really stinks...perhaps contact the US Embassy in Bishkek, we contacted them while we were there and they were very helpful...the people at the hotel desk should be able to give you the number to call...they just may be able to help you. Oh I hope you get those shoes...

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth,

I am so sorry that this happened and I wish I had an answer to your question of...how do we fix it? I hope that you get everything done so that they give you the shoes back. That is just RUDE!!!

Good Luck! :)
Hugs from Houston,
Casey

Jeanne said...

Can the facilitator help at all? Perhaps missionaries who are there? Maybe you can reach John Wright through his blog/email.

Anonymous said...

Ask your in country person for help. She speaks both languages and has a vested interest in getting those shoes to the children. Everything will work out! Your main concern right now is bonding with your daughter. Give her a big hug from Jyly and I.