Hi All,
It is 9:30 PM here on Gotcha Day. My first chance to sit down and blog. We left for the orphanage over 12 hours ago. We signed paperwork with the orphanage director and Aidai was declared mine. After that we went to go see her and she wasn't too sure about me at first. She seemed to not realize who I was, after 4 months I am not surprised. Then she warmed up to me and my mom and hasn't really let us out of her sight since. We changed her clothes and then walked around the orphanage a bit while Maria was getting Ellie ready.
Then they said to take her to lunch since it had gotten late but she did not want to go anywhere near her group again. Aliya, the translator, was able to get her back to the room and we stayed while she ate but they had to fix her food fast and give it to her because she was trying to make a break for it. After that we had a little party, gave our donations to the orphanage and headed out. Over the time we were there soooo many people came to say goodbye to her. They were all kissing her and telling her they loved her and it was really hard because I know that they have taken care of her for 4 years and have done a great job especially considering the circumstances.
Aidai is super talkative now. When we were here in the Spring she barely said anything intelligible to anyone. Now she says a bunch of Russian words and is copying us in English. She repeated "uh-oh", "Mike" and "Good Job" in perfect English. I'm sure there are other things she said but I am soooo tired it is difficult to remember everything. Our translator was really impressed with how well she was speaking and how far she had come in 4 months. I think it is great but I also think that she may not qualify for the school preschool cause I don't know how delayed she is going to be in her native language.
Aidai fell asleep on the ride from the orphanage and then proceeded to check everything out in the hotel room. By far her favorite items so far are the pictures that she had from trip one and new ones I brought. She just looks at them over and over and over and names everyone in them.
She doesn't really tell us with words when she wants to go to the bathroom which is weird cause I bet she can say it. However, she starts getting upset and hopping from one leg to the other so it is pretty clear. I really really wish I had brought a travel toilet seat cover because holding her is really tiring and at times smelly since I think she has Giardia. The other issue was her bath, she screamed like we were killing her. It was horrible. We had to fight her to get her clothes off and then she screamed like a snot nosed banshee for quite awhile until she finally decided that maybe she liked the bath toys and refused to get out. We had to treat her with scabies cream and we weren't sure how that was going to work but when we got her out I said masaje (massage) and she was totally into it. I'm pretty sure she has scabies based on a few bites I saw.
Thank god I didn't come alone. There is no way I could have done this without my mom. There is just way to much going on to handle Aidai with the lack of communication ability and her unsteadiness (she falls alot). Aidai adores Babuka (her pronunciation of babushka which is Russian for Grandma). Aidai also seems to take after her great grandmother, she is in love with shoes it appears. She checks out everyone's shoes and tries to get you to put them on.
I'm going to snack a little since dinner didn't happen and then crash. I think the kiddo will probably awaken earlier than I would like!
Here are some more pictures of the day...
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Gotcha Day Update
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Oh my gosh--that sounds almost exactly like Alihan when Ted picked him up! The bathroom thing lasts for a while and he had accidents for the first month. He still has accidents in new situations (the second day with the new babysitter). Everything is so new to her. I can't even imagine how it must feel to her. I know how you must be feeling--exhausted, excited and at times totally unsure. Been there and when you get home it does get much much easier!
YAY!!!!! I'm sooo very happy for ya'll! :) You are officially a Mom! :)
Hugs from Houston,
Casey
Congrats!!!!
I thought security would be knocking on our door when Beck screamed bloody murder at his first bath, but just add bubbles and then he didn't want to get out. He did a lot of tubby time on that trip - it was cheap entertainment.
Get some rest, we'll be anxiously waiting your next update!
Oh YAY! YAY! YAY! I'm So happy she's all yours now.
YEAH, Elizabeth!! I am so excited for you. I can only imagine the emotions running through you as you were on your way to pick up your daughter =) I have been stalking your blog for days now waiting for this reunion! I am so happy to see that your mom came with you (my mom will be joining me for trip 2 as well) What a great bonding experience.
I hope the remainder of your trip is safe and fun. Congrats!!
She looks so cozy warm and snuggly in her sweater. She is going to have so much to explore...beware of silence, it means she's up to something ;) I'm glad she warmed up to you both, and that she wanted to stay right with you. I can't wait to show the kids when they get home. Sorry you dealing with the dreaded scabies and maybe giardia. It's not fun, but at least they can treat her ASAP when you get home. She's going to be just fine. Bring on the yogurt in the mean time! Give her an extra kiss from her fan club in NE.
What a beautiful family you make! Congratulations! We leave in the morning and this was the best posting to have read before coming to the States. We are SO pleased and excited for you. Look after yourselves and i can't wait to see you all. Lots of hugs and kisses, jabet & tom xxxxxxxxxxxx
OK, she really is the cutest 4 year old ever! I just love her hair cut :) and her pullover sweater...and you can see her curiosity and smarts in the pictures...I bet she is crawling cause she likes the cool carpet, it is probably soft to her...OH I just love your precious little girl...already a shoe girl!
:) Thanks for making my day!!!!!
Post a Comment