Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Almaty

Hi All,

After a long, crazy, traffic filled ride we made it to Almaty. We are staying at Hotel Kazakhstan and let me just say, I miss the lovely customer service, room size & cheap restaurant. Somehow we will get through the next few days on PB & J and tuna fish. We managed to find some today at the store. I got scolded for the first time for not having Aidai bundled up warm enough. Of course the child was sweating in her fleece lined sweater and turtleneck and I asked if she was cold and she said no but evidently none of that matters.

Tomorrow the embassy and then a day to pack and then fly home. So close and yet right now it seems so far. Aidai is having a really hard time with the change in scenery and every time someone speaks Russian with her at any length she freaks when we have to leave them and she even hit me in the SOS Clinic. Needless to say I ended up with a migraine. I know she just likes being able to communicate with them but when it is just us she's fine. It is totally opposite kids. I swear the people at the clinic must think she hates me!

I'm really spend at this point. An overtired Aidai fought us for her nap and emotionally I am just burnt and I'm really hungry. I was so desperate to make it to Almaty but things were so much better when we were in Bishkek. Oh well, one step closer to home. I wish I had Aidai's ruby red slippers to transport us back instead of BMI/BA.

Elizabeth

4 comments:

janiece said...

Ahhh, remember Alihann had a major meltdown outside the SOS clinic and I think the embassy too. Just totally overwhelmed--something about the building frightened him. Maybe she's having some of the same issues?

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth, You are a great mom and don't let anyone tell you that you are doing things wrong!!! You keep your head up. I know that you are getting a bit frustrated, but she will be home with you soon and you and Bill will get to do this all together and get to work together to make it great! :) You will be able to lean on eachother to make it through the hard times. It's going to be wonderful, but it's a big transition right now for her and you both. It will be much easier once you get here and can start a regimented life with boundaries and some semblance of normalacy on a daily basis. You will be here soon, just wait! :)
Hugs from Houston,
Casey

Margaret and Tom said...

So glad you are in Almaty safe...I know what you mean about Almaty and the hotel Kaz...Loved bishkek so much more and it was so much less expensive. Hang in there, and continue to be safe...not long now and you will be home!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Billy!