Warning - icky basset antics ahead
Bill is teaching his electrical apprencticeship class tonight so my mom and I are on Stooges (as in our 3 bassets) duty. I took the dogs out when I got home. We use our side door to come in from the driveway but take the dogs out the front door. I didn't realize that an animal had gotten into our trash and spread things around until it was too late. Snickers got a sandwich size plastic bag that had a chicken bone in it. Whatever animal visited had ripped open the bag but it was relatively intact.
Normally pleasant easygoing Snickers wouldn't let me have the bag. I managed to get the bone and kick it away but I couldn't get the bag out of her mouth and was struggling with the other two on leashes who were trying to sniff the trash that was on the lawn. So I dragged them inside as quick as I could so that I could drop the leashes and go at Snick but of course, she ate the entire bag before I was able to get it from her.
Our vet is away so I called the person who was going to be on call and that vet was still open. They told me I could feed her bread which would help her pass the bag in a few days and in the meantime she would be sick and we'd have to watch her to make sure she was eating and everything because if not it could indicate a stuck bag and surgery needed. My second option was to induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide. I chose option two so I ran out to buy some and then used a turkey baster to get it down her throat. Luckily she'll barf if she eats a few blades of grass so sure enough she started to get sick. The bag came up as well as the cork from a bottle of wine my family had brought over when they visited last weekend.
This is the first time I have ever had to induce vomiting on my dog! Perhaps she was trying to make sure I am as prepared as I can be for the messy side of parenthood.
Elizabeth
Monday, September 29, 2008
The escapades of Snickers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
YAY for parenting...even if it's only on Snickers right now!!! :)
Congrats on handling things so well...you are going to make a GREAT MOM!!! :)
Hugs from Houston,
Casey
oh my! Glad he's OK. That's scary!
Don't ya just love K-9s? I really should just send you Dudley. He and Snickers could go dumpster diving together!
Post a Comment