Whoops....Looks like I may have clicked something too soon.
So here we go again. I'm just wrapping up some painting, it's my new hobby. Great fun if you have the time, screw climbing, hiking, biking, 4 wheeling, or even training fleas to jump through a hoop, give me a paint brush, a roller and 5 gallons of primer any day!! better than s.....youth =) Kidding, obviously....but I do have a bit to share. I'm not big time political, but I am a bit of a "talk radio" junkie....I missed the presidential debates over the weekend, mostly so that I would have more time to paint,(I can be so self centered!!)..but I was glued to the commentary today. Realizing that right now we're only going to hear a lot of "blah-blah" from both sides, I'm still interested in what's being asked, and was AMAZED when I heard the one question regarding the worlds orphans......Here's the number I promised....148 million orphans in the world....148 million!!!! I take care of 1.6 million sq. ft. of building at Keene State College, so I do have a bit of a concept of 1.5 million, and it is a heck of a lot, really mind blowing!!! When we were in country, I doubt I saw 50 children, and I knew we were but a pocket of what was out there, but my God, seeing those few that we had the privilege to see, changed my heart, to hear 148 million today caused me to stop, weep for the lost, and wonder what can be done. For those of you readers who are thinking right now, "Bill, you guys are doing your part, good for you" Let me tell you, it's not like that. Aidai is allowing us to complete our family, it isn't and never has been about the two of us, plus our families, doing something good, believe me when I say that I'll get as much if not more than Aidai from our relationship than she will. I'm not this great and wonderful guy, I'm just a guy, with a great wife, and understanding son, and wonderful friend and family support. No hero by any stretch. I know that there are already so many causes out there. We have bake sales for churches, schools, after-school programs, more bombs, or more bikes, the earth's to warm, the earth's to cold.....gas prices are too high, what ever.....like most of the people of "my generation" I may have seen a bit too much of Sally Struthers pushing her support of supporting a child, but I'll share this with you, now that I've seen the eyes of those children, and I didn't say looked into the eyes of those children, because most won't look into your eyes, I know there's a real crisis. What's the answer, I don't know, support adoption, your friends and family, encourage your work places to support adoption, to make it easier, pick a "pet orphanage" some where in the world that interests you, and when you might have $5 at the end of the week in your wallet, send it off so some young kid could get food or shoes, or medication. 148 million....that's a number that sucks!!! the upside is soon it will be 147,999,999....67 days.
Thanks for once again enduring my ranting.
And thanks for your comments, I love them all!!
Bill
Monday, August 18, 2008
Here's a Number for you!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
WOW! That's a huge number! I can relate to your not wanting to be seen as saving a child. Bringing home our two daughters has been such a blessing for us.
I'm waiting anxiously for Aidai to come home - she is soooo adorable and I remember how she wanted us to be with our little Claire. When I came into the room, she would take my hand and walk me over to where Claire was sitting. I will always have a place in my heart for Aidai.
Karen D
Kyrgyzstan changes you forever doesn't it? It makes it more real when you spend time with the hopeless, and they have a face and a name. I cannot tell you how relieved, thankful, excited, and happy I was when I first heard from Elizabeth! You've been an answer to many many prayers on Aidai's behalf. I know you're not looking for praise, and that you don't feel you're anyone remarkable by adopting a child. But, you are making the biggest difference in the world to one special little girl...your starfish. She has a daddy with a heart as big as the world waiting for her with open arms! And she will be just as big of a blessing to you as you are to her. I cannot wait to see her again!
I can relate to how you feel 100%. Having Julia and then adding the boys opened my eyes in ways that I could have never ever imagined. And, we feel exactly like you. We aren't these awesome wonderful people "saving" our children. They saved us. They made us better people and they have given us way more they we have ever give them.
I'm with Karen. Aidai is such a great little girl. Ted and I were so thrilled when we found out she was going to have her own mommy and daddy.
Post a Comment