Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Update

Well I don't have much to update but I'll pass on what little info I do have!

I lined us up with a Russian tutor for 3-4 hours a week. She is a college student, home for the summer, whose parents are both Russian professors at Dartmouth. She isn't Russian but learned through them and trips to Russia. She is going to help us learn the basics so we can get through the 10 days with Aidai in Kyrg and then the over 24 hour trip home. We are going to learn things like "let me help you", "are you hungry?", "do you need to use the bathroom?", "Are you hurt?", "It will be okay", etc etc.

We need to start getting her room together and gathering items for her. I have been trolling Craigslist for cheap items and need to go yard saling. Old Navy has great sales so I grabbed a few things from there. We are inheriting beds and need to now find other furniture and toys. A few generous friends have offered to pass along the toys/clothes their daughters have outgrown, Wahoooo!

I know we will be okay, we always are, but I am a bit in financial overwhelm. Not because we are broke or can't pay the bills or anything, just because the cost of things are so overwhelming. We have to pay off the adoption fees, buy all her needs, pay for medical care, and figure out how to afford preschool.

The adoption loan we took will get much more manageable with next year's tax refund because we will get almost 12K back. I am a good bargain shopper so we should be able to get everything for Aidai by using really good shopping savvy and through our great friends. The medical care shouldn't be too bad because Bill has great insurance through work, thanks KSC (now just work on that adoption subsidy)! But we just don't know what to expect with her medical needs and we won't know more until she is home. Our ideal place for her is almost $650/month for full time care, ugh! Luckily we only need a year or two of it. We don't want to skimp on the care because even though there are alot of perfectly safe places, we need a great place who will work with her and us as we navigate the unique challenges that come with international adoption.

So now I feel better because we do have a plan for all of these tasks, it just seems like alot when the brain starts wandering too much!

We have a ton to do. I am totally exhausted for some reason. I have been getting plenty of sleep but even on the way to work I am tired, the way home is worse! I didn't have much jet lag going to Kyrg but I was also probably running on pure adrenaline the first few days. I didn't have that coming this direction.

8 comments:

Maria said...

E & B -- Give this all to God in prayer. Tell Him your needs and He WILL provide for you. :-) We know this first hand with this adoption as He has provided just what we need at each step. We are reeling as well with all the baby items we still need but are just taking it a step at a time. See if you guys have a Once Upon a Baby where you are -- discounted items!! Also, the jet lag is rough at our house too -- just give yourself some time. It took me about a week in country and today is the first day I've slept past 4 a.m. HUGS!!

janiece said...

It can be overwhelming can't it? It will work out--just take one thing at a time. I ended up with more clothes, toys, furniture then we could have ever used for the kids!
You'll probably get more then 12k since it's a credit. Both times we got more then 17k back (averaged 3-4 before). The IRS held our checks both times because they had to reexamine our filings!

Mala said...

Just take it one day at a time.
I meant to tell you Beck always says the same word when he sees Aidai's picture. I wonder if it's a nickname they had for Aidai or something. He's consistantly saying it when he sees her picture, I just have no idea what it means...

Anonymous said...

Hey Elizabeth,

Just make lists write it all down and take care of it piece by piece. You will be ok, plus you will have a wonderful daughter to share your life with. While monetarily children are expensive, what you get back in love is worth the weight in gold! :)

As for the exhaustion, just take it slow, it too will pass! :)

Hugs,
Casey

Anonymous said...

Must know terms for a 4 YO
eedee sudah- come here
Hosheesh- are you, do you
Hosheesh peesit- have to go potty
hosheesh cooshit- want to eat
Pa-ra spot- time for bed
ha-ra-show- Ok?
saadeess- sit down
goodyeah-where?
sto-what
etta-that

Hilary Marquis said...

Glad to see you're keeping busy. Collecting all the things a toddler needs is no easy task. Sounds like you enjoy a good bargain as much as I do! Sounds like you've found a great day care, I think you're right about no skimping in this area. She is going to catch up and learn the language faster than you think. I know she is bright. Get ready for Disney princess overload...at least that is what we are into over in this neck of the woods...Mala too:)

Anonymous said...

as far as pre-school, she will qualify for free pre-school/services through your local school district. having English as a 2nd language automatically gets you in ;) it's usually something like 3X/wk., half days. it all depends though. my bio son needed the "special ed" pre-school because of his speech delay and it was *awesome* for him!! by the end of the 1st year i couldn't get him to shut up ;)

i would just contact your local school district to set up an evaluation, and go from there. at the very least, even if it's just part-time then you only have to pay for another pre-school part-time if you are wanting her in full-time.

Margaret and Tom said...

I am so happy for you both. Your daughter is beautiful and I love her name. Yes, the jet lag is bad coming back home for sure!
:) So excited for you!