We headed to the pediatrician on Halloween afternoon. We had an interpreter for this visit, actually 2 (no clue why) so they sent one home. I'm thinking about reporting the interpreter we had because she crossed some serious boundaries and she knew it. She kept saying, "I'm going to break the rules just to say..." and she did that numerous times. She told us she thought the doctor was wrong about what we think is cleared up scabies or other insect bite. She thinks it is measles (ummmm so not). She told us not to give her processed foods, she should be a vegetarian, she doesn't need to eat meat, we shouldn't give her too many vaccinations, don't give her the chicken pox vaccine etc etc etc. It was really annoying and soooo not her place. I know I know, it is just cultural but I'm in freaking America now and I'm not going to put up with people telling me what to do with my kid unless they are a respected medical doctor.
So anyway, she did make it easier to give Aidai direction. Basically what we got out of the visit was that Aidai weighs 38lbs and is 39.5 inches tall (which everyone seems to think makes her a giant). The doctor thinks her feet will be repairable with orthopedic shoes and maybe splints but she's not totally sure. She gave us a referral to the pediatric orthopedic doctor that we wanted to see and is also going to give us a referral to the international adoption clinic so that our insurance will cover it. She also said to let the adoption clinic do titres and figure out the best schedule for future vaccinations.
Elizabeth
Monday, November 3, 2008
Pediatrician Visit
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Definitely report your interpreter. I work with medical interpreters constantly and what she did is totally outside of the boundaries. I'm surprised the doctor didn't say anything. Medical interpreters work under strict guidelines and she didn't follow them in the least. In order to get everything correct--which can be deadly if not done correctly--these rules are in place.
Make sure your insurance covers the titres. We found out the hard way that ours did not. ONE titre test cost us $2,000.00 yes, I actually cried when I got the bill. To add insult to injury, it was to check if he had really already recieved a $20 vaccination - which of course our insurance would have covered.
By all means, complain about the translator! She is supposed to translate for Aidai, not tell you her opinions about things! You are probably not the first or the last family that she's done that to.
I've been following your blog for a while, I'm so happy that you have your precious daughter! See you on YSQ.
Ooo...not good, way over stepping. Glad that the doc gave you a referral. We were very pleased with the Pedi Ortho we took Anara to. It should be an easier appt, nothing painful, maybe x-rays :) Sorry the eye appt wasn't quite as smooth for her (or you) but, I'm glad there is a plan. I think her little patches are darling! Now, go have some cheesecake my dear, you've earned it!
That interpreter does not sound like one you need to have come with you in the future. :( I mean, I understand her making it easier for you guys with Aidai, but that is not right for her to push her views on you!!! And you should definitely tell on her. Think about other families that aren't as head strong as you...they may really get upset and bothered by her which isn't right!!!
I hope that the pedi-doctor is helpful and that the treatments/corrections are easy on Aidai too! :)
hugs from Houston,
Casey
Post a Comment