A note about her medical info - on trip one we were promised a translated copy of her entire file. Yet another lie, we only got one page of information which was the same page we had at referral. I couldn't tell the doctor when they noticed her eye turning in and I can't fill out the school's paperwork which asks when she sat up, when she said her first word, etc. I bet the information is in that file that we were promised.
On Thursday we took Aidai to her appointment with the eye doctor. I was very anxious to find out what the treatment for her eye would be and I was worried about how the appointment would go without an interpreter. They measured the level of her eye turning in and then dilated her eyes which didn't go well because we couldn't tell her that they were going to put drops in but that they wouldn't hurt so she screamed through that. Then we went to the playroom to wait for the dilation and she didn't seem to want to play nice with the two girls that came in (although the girls were pushy) so she had a meltdown when we removed her from the play area. She eventually got over it and we went back in to see the doctor. She had to do the exam and that required me sitting with Aidai in my lap and restraining her hands while Bill stood behind the doctor and tried to get Aidai's attention. This would have been easy except the lights were off and they were shining the light into her dilated eyes and she wouldn't keep her crossed eye open so they had to hold it open which just increased the crying.
I'm not quite sure of how any of those tests gave them her visual acuity. When I scheduled the appointment they said there would be matching games for her to do and such but they didn't do any of those. I think it would have been easier with an interpreter but we managed. Anyway, they somehow did determine what was going on with her vision and determined a treatment plan.
Her right eye has no prescription needed. Her left eye is the issue. It is crossed because the vision is so poor in that eye that she hasn't been using it so the muscles have weakened. For those of you that don't know about eye prescriptions, I'll give you something as a comparison. I am nearsighted, I can't see far away. My prescription is a -2.00 and I can't see the TV guide from the couch 10-15ft away. Aidai's prescription in her left eye is -6.00 which means she really can't see anything with that eye that isn't right in front of her face. So we ordered glasses for her on the spot and we will pick those up Tuesday. I am also going to be taught how to put a contact in her eye on Tuesday. They want us to have both options for her. In addition, we have to patch her good eye 4 hours a day and engage her in visually interesting inside play when she is patched. In December we go back for another check to see if her muscles are getting any stronger in her left eye.
Here is a picture of her eye patches. The box has 5 different styles.
Sunday, November 2, 2008
Eye doctor visit
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
HAHA--my script is -7.5 both eyes. I can totally related to how she feels. I bet she'll have headaches until she gets more used to that eye being used and then with the glasses. Her brain is used to correcting for her. Poor baby. But it is a fixable solution. I don't envy you having to put a contact in her eye.
That's neat that the pads are stylish!!! :) I guess it makes it a tad bit easier to wear them when they aren't ugly! :)
Best of luck with the contact, that doesn't sound like fun. :(
hugs from Houston,
Casey
Give Aidai hugs for me. I have the same exact eye issues. I did that patch routine when I was a kid and Hated IT! It's going to be frustrating for her. She's facing so many new challenges now though, she may not even notice the patches! You've got one adorable little girl there! What a trooper.
Karen D
Post a Comment