Friday, October 23, 2009

One year today...Gotcha day!!

Hi Everyone
It's Bill, Elizabeth is away this weekend for work, and asked if I wouldn't mind posting for the 24th of October.....so here we go....
Truly amazing how much one's life can change in a year. Aidai is a wonderful person, the people who get the chance to know her and share time with her will be better people because of her, this I already know. It's funny for me to think that as we were so desperately trying to get her into preschool with an IEP that would fit her, the people we were working with thought it was a big deal if she could put 2 or 3 words together, and now the words just freely and with out stop, flow from her mouth. Her eye which was once crossed to her nose, is now centered, and one would be challenged to figure out which was the weaker one. She still falls, from time to time, but most kids who are distracted by "shiny" objects do, she does everything with a attitude and energy that is amazing, when it's "her turn" for anything, she's in it 100% laughing and screeching all the way. She is vocal now with saying "I love you", which as a parent means the universe. Other than very little time for PT , OT, or speech therapy, she's fully integrated into full time Kindergarten, and keeps up well with her peers, even as her Papa, this amazes me.

The relationships that have been formed are granite solid. Josh glow's around her, and she thinks he can walk on water. Elizabeth has become a fantastic Mama, with energy and enthusiasm that I can only envy. Ellen, "Babuka" is really "Uber-Babuka" and is nothing but giving and steadfast and loving. Now both Elizabeth and Ellen are entering the world of the Girl Scouts, having done my time in Cub Scouts, all I can say is God Bless them! Oma and Papi, are always the charm, few months ago Aidai spent her first night away from home with them, and for the most part it was seamless, she's been there since and can't wait to go back. Time's with Uncle Geoff and Aunt Nancy have been great fun, we recently spent a long weekend with them in Nantucket, Aidai's first view of the ocean, a great thing to be part of, she was afraid of the waves at first, we wanted them to tickle her toes, she trusts us, she let it happen, and loved it!! She has friends....that was a big prayer of mine, the other kids in her class really like her, and watch out for her when she needs it, which is becoming less and less.

She' great! Always the perfect child, by no means, which to me is great, because she feels safe where she is. She can be a major pill and is no stranger to "time out". She loves to "tomboy" with Papa, which is a lot of fun, and she'll try anything. I love to paint her nails as well as throw her into a pile of leaves, and she is into both. I enjoy watching all of those around me, whom I love, with her, to see them in their roles, and just being a family. Lately I've been wanting to fast forward my life a bit, but as I write this, maybe I want to slow it down. I've seen Josh grow from a tiny 9 lbs, to a young man bigger than me in a blink of an eye, I hope to see every bit of Aidai as she becomes a young woman of that caliber.

She loves anything to do with drawing, coloring, and her shapes. Just last night she filled, yes filled, our living room floor with paper pieces of all shapes and colors...she gets to use scissors now...ugggh....I've got to admit, she draws a pretty good school bus/train.

A week from now will be her first introduction to Halloween, she will be a pirate, a costume choice of her own choosing, in pre-school she had done a long lesson involving pirates, and has assumed the role ever since, very fitting, and also very adorable, no doubt there will be photo's posted soon. The plan for tomorrow afternoon is carving her first Jack-o-lantern, and cooking up some pumpkin seeds.

Life is great with Aidai, and I truly believe life is great for Aidai. She is a wonderful person, and a real blessing to our lives. I thank you all for your interest in her and us and for your support. Know that a year into this we wouldn't change a thing! Congrats also to Maria, Kevin, Josh and Ellie!!! Yahoo!!

4 comments:

Betsy said...

Congratulations on celebrating your 1 year Gotcha Day anniversary! We also just celebrated 1 year with our sweet Caleb. Time flies and they certainly do change a ton in one year! We are so happy for your family and pray the next year is filled with even more happiness and blessings. Love, Betsy Bryan & Caleb

Maria said...

Thanks for the shout out!! We were certainly thinking of you guys on Saturday. I'm so sorry about Charlie, too. The update on Aidai was wonderful. To see the growth in just one year is so beautiful. I knew she would be fine--she was SO smart in K'stan, she just needed the opportunities you guys are providing. Tell Elizabeth: NEW PIX!!!

Otter Mom said...

Congratulations! I know that you are very blessed by God and I am so happy for you. Thank you for the update on how well your precious daughter is doing. Elizabeth, see you on YSQ when you get time. Enjoy Girl Scouts, they can be so much fun and are so good for the girls in the same way that Boy Scouts are so good for boys.

smileysk8 said...

Happy Gotcha Day! She is so cute! Love the post, so sweet!