So everyone tells you that the adoption road is long and windy with many roadblocks and detours along the way. Bill and I have already figured that out!
Early on I had some concerns about our placement agency but I basically ignored them and moved forward anyway. Now I know we shouldn't have. They aren't bad people or anything, just don't do the handholding I need. Not to mention, the whole reason we went with them was because of their Liberia program. Well the Liberian adoption program is frankly a mess right now. I was hearing things back in January about all the issues agencies were having. When I brought my concerns up to our agency they basically said not to listen to everything I hear/read.
2 weeks ago our director was stopped from escorting children home and the agency has had some major issues with staff stealing from them and not doing what needs to be done. There are rumors, that I feel confident believing, that Liberia will put adoptions on hold for awhile while they sort out how they want to do business. Once the new rules are established I wouldn't be suprised to see an in-country stay as a requirement. Since we hadn't sunk any money into the Liberian program yet, we decided to check out other options.
After careful consideration we have decided to adopt through Kyrgyzstan and we are specifically looking for a waiting child. She will have minor-moderate special needs, we probably won't have specifics until she is here. We will get medical reports and can have them reviewed by a US doctor, at the International Adoption Clinic. We will have to redo some paperwork and may have to obtain more but it shouldn't be too bad. We will have to travel twice and we could have a kid here by the end of summer. Totally not what we were planning on but things change!
We have pictures of a few girls who are available but we won't get a definite referral until we travel.
We will keep you all posted!
Elizabeth
Tuesday, April 1, 2008
Big Changes
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I hope this one works out for you guys... you deserve it! Where the heck is Kryzxykngstn or whatever it is? :)
Post a Comment